Pittsburgh Policy Documents Collection
The following is just a small collection of documents I have referenced, collected or have been asked to provide in the past. They are generally sorted into geographic focus areas: 1) City of Pittsburgh, 2) Allegheny County, 3) the Pittsburgh Region, 4) other subregions and 5) general reference documents. Beyond that they are in no particular order (yet) and cover a broad range of topics pertaining to public policy.
For a more specific set of references pertaining to Regionalism and Local Government Fragmentation in the Pittsburgh Region click here.
All are PDF files unless otherwise noted and several are relatively large files (over 1mb). If you have questions on any of these documents, contact me at:Christopher Briem University Center for Social and Urban Research University of Pittsburgh 121 University Place, Pittsburgh,PA 15260 email@example.com
The Regional Economic
Development Bibliography and Data Base (TRED/Biblio) Final Report. Prepared
for a Subcommittee of
the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County.Service Consolidation Task Force on Economic Development. Chaired by: Raymond Reaves, Director Department of Planning, Allegheny County and Mulugetta Birru, PhD, Executive Director, Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh. Prepared at the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public and International Affairs. by Co-Principal Investigators James P. DeAngelis and Sabina Deitrick. Also Appendix B, Appendix C, Appendix D.
· Establishing a Culture of Excellence. Recommendations of the Competitive Pittsburgh Task Force. October 1996
· The Impact of the Earned Income Tax on Locational Decisions and the City of Pittsburgh. City of Pittsburgh Department of City Planning. April 1987
· Garfield Employment Study. Pittsburgh Partnership for Neighborhood Development. July 2002.
· East Liberty Image Study. 1983.
· Spine Line Corridor Study. November 1993.
· Stadium Proposal. Proposal for the Redevelopment of Redevelopment Area 16 in the Twenty First and Twenty Second Wards of the City of Pittsburgh. Urban and Redevelopment Authority. November 1, 1963.
· Regional Restructuring and its Impact on Public Services: Some Strategies for the City of Pittsburgh. University Center for Social and Urban Research. February 1987.
· Preliminary Report Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority Cities of the Second Class. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania April 12, 2004
· Municipalities Financial Recovery Act Recovery Plan City of Pittsburgh Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. Filed with the City Clerk June 11, 2004. Public Financial Management & Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC
· City of Pittsburgh Act 47 Recovery Plan Development Interim Coordination and Information Sharing Report to the ICA April 8, 2004 Eckert Seamans Cherin & Mellott, LLC and Public Financial Management. April 8, 2004.
· A Regional City with a Local Tax Base. Executive Summary. Pennsylvania Economy League.1982.
Municipal Pension Trust Fund - City of Pittsburgh -Year End Report & Update
For the year ended December 31, 2000
· Official Statement - City of Pittsburgh General Obligation Bond - 1997 Series A,B and C
· Official Statement - City of Pittsburgh General Obligation Bond - 2005 Seriess A and B.
· new: Official Statement - City of Pittsburgh General Obligation Bond - 2006 Series A,B and C.
· Resident satisfaction with selected aspects of life in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania;: The results of a telephone survey. Phillip A. Windell, University Center for Social and Urban Research. December 1975
· Neighborhood Information System User Manual. Donald Musa, Gambhir Batta and Steven Manners. University Center for Social and Urban Research. 1989.
· Pittsburgh Residents Assess their Neighborhoods. Roger Ahlbrandt and James V. Cunningham. School of Social Work and University Center for Social and Urban Research, University of Pittsburgh. December 1980
· An Ecological and Physical Investigation of Pittsburgh’s Hillsides. ECOLOGICAL REPORT. Carnegie Mellon University. Prepared in cooperation with Allgheny Land Trust for the City of Pittburgh Hillsides Committee. August 31, 2004
· Report of Committee to Study and Report on Assessment Practices, Procedures and Policies in Allegheny County. Otherwise known as the Jaffurs Report. Joseph D'Anna, Robert Gaitens, John McAllister, Edward L. Ivory, Donald J. Lee, Alexander J. Jaffurs, Richard Longini, Gordon Mulleneaux, Emerson G. Hess. June 1976
· Final Report and Proposed Home Rule Charter - Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. March 15, 1974.
· Metropolitan Organization: The Allegheny County Case. Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations. February 1992.
· Preparing Allegheny County for the 21st Century. A Report to the Allegheny County Board of Commissioners Prepared by The Committee to Prepare Allegheny County For the 21st Century - January, 1996. Otherwise known as COMPAC21.
· Sabre Systems methodology for the initital Allegheny County mass reassement.
· Allegheny County Rapid Transit Study. 1967. Parsons, Brinckerhoff, Quade & Douglass. Sometimes refered to as an early SKYBUS study.
· The Vital Vote: Home Rule in Allegheny County. by Frank Lucchino. Allegheny County Controller. March 23, 1993.
· Reclaiming Hope: Voluntary Disincorporation in Allegheny County. Frank J. Lucchino..Controller, County of Allegheny. Undated (this is just the first few pages of this report. If you need the whole report give me a call.)
· Judge Wettick's March 15, 2006 order dismissing most (but not all) assessment issues.
· The Job Growth Centers of Allegheny County.Interim Report for the Project: Linking the Unemployed to Growth Centers in Allegheny County Ralph Bangs and Thomas Soltis. University Center for Social and Urban Research. University of Pittsburgh. June 1989
· Allegheny County Overall Economic Development Program 1988-1990. Allegheny County Department of Development. June 1988 Development.
· Strategy 21. Pittsburgh/Allegheny Economic Development Strategy to begin the 21st CENTURY. a proposal to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, The University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University. June 1985
See also my web page on Local Government Fragmentation and Regionalism in the Pittsburgh Region.
· Strengthening Pennsylvania's Local Governments - Implications for the Mon Valley.Christine Altenburger, Kevin Kearns, B. Guy Peters, Prepared for the President's Conference on Mill Towns, May 5-6, 1988.
ACCESS AND THE LOCATION OF ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY FIRMS IN PENNSYLVANIA
(RPN-83-22). FINAL REPORT. VOLUME I: RESEARCH FINDINGS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
James P. DeAngelis, A. G. R. Bullen, Norman P. Hummon, Steven Manners. University Center for Social and Urban Research
University of Pittsburgh. June 1986